Every Tuesday is “Taco Tuesday” so, I try and find different variations so we can keep things spicy. We love the original taco (especially with simple & tangy pickled red onions) and the crunchy wrapped style but every now and then we want to throw away the tortilla.
Well, Healthy Chicken Carnitas Burrito Bowls are the thing and even easy enough to throw together after a long day at work! And I am pretty sure my family likes these better than takeout.
They are full of flavor, filling and might I say pretty healthy. The base is cilantro and lime brown rice then you have this smoky and bold shredded chicken as the star. But, you cannot forget all the necessary key burrito ingredients like black beans, corn, tomatoes, and cheese.
I usually cook this meal in two stages. First, the chicken and then begin the rest about a 1/2 hour later so everything is ready about the same time. The chicken breast is really simple, just marinate (at least an hour if you have the time maybe prep the night before) and then let the crockpot do its job. If you don’t have time to marinate it’s okay your end result will still be full of flavor.
Cooking time is going to vary depending on your method. I suggest using the crockpot. On a work night (as this was) I let go at medium-high for close to 1.5 hours and I was good to go. If you have less time, crank up the heat a bit because chicken can be quick to cook. Adding a little vinegar can help tenderize and shorten the cook time as well. But, if you have the time I wouldn’t rush it because, the slower, the longer, the softer.
The key ingredient in the chicken is the adobo chilies. The chilies have a smoky flavor that really brings richness to the chicken.
About 30 minutes into cooking begin the Cilantro and Lime Brown Rice and prep the toppings. I kept my toppings pretty traditional but they can be endless.
Building the burrito bowl is the fun part! I like to put each topping in separate containers so everyone can add as little or as much of something as they want.
- Healthy Chicken Carnitas Burrito Bowl2017-09-03 14:24:10Spice up taco Tuesday or any other night with this Healthy Chicken Carnitas Bowl. Super easy to make and better than the takeout kind!Prep Time20 minCook Time1 hr 30 minTotal Time1 hr 50 minPrep Time20 minCook Time1 hr 30 minTotal Time1 hr 50 minIngredients
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 4 oz. can of adobo chilis, finely minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. paprika
Add ingredients to shopping listIf you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading itInstructions
- Black beans
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Roma tomatoes, diced
- Red onion, diced
- Sour cream
- Iceberg lettuce, shredded
Cilantro & Limes https://www.cilantroandlimes.com/
- Mix ¼ cup lime juice, adobo chilies, olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili powder and paprika; add marinade to chicken and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Add chicken and marinade to a hot crock pot to sear and then add chicken stock, cook until chicken is soft enough to shred about 1-2 hours depending on cooking temperature.
- About 30 minutes after beginning to cook the chicken, start the brown rice; cook according to package but substitute ¼ cup of water for lime juice; toward the end of the cook time, add ¼ cup of chopped cilantro and finish with 2 tbsp. of lime juice
- While the chicken and rice are cooking, begin to prepare your toppings.
- Dice tomatoes and red onion, mix and finish off with 1 tbsp. of lime juice and 1 tbsp. of chopped cilantro
- Prepare corn according to package (I used a steamable pack but if you have a little extra time to roast on the grill and cut off the cob that is ideal)
- Rinse black beans
- Shred lettuce and cheese
- After the chicken is soft you can shred and add the remainder of chopped cilantro.
- Build your bowl and enjoy!
Please leave a comment below and tell me the topping variations you choose! Thanks for joining me today at Cilantro & Limes!