Fall is upon us here in NJ and even though I love the summer’s warm weather I also really enjoy the autumn season. There are specifically a few reasons but without going into too much detail all I will say is Pumpkin Spice and Healthy Turkey Chili!
With the cooler nights approaching, I decided to break out my chili making skills with a little Healthy Turkey Chili which cannot be any easier to throw together. This fall will be particularly busy for us since my little one has started flag football. I believe crock pot recipes like my Healthy Turkey Chili will be on deck this year especially for football Sunday’s.
So, let’s get to it! I do love the traditional beef chili but when trying to be a little health conscious turkey is the better choice. This chili is packed with flavors of garlic, red onion, red peppers, jalapeño, beans, green chilies, and tomatoes. This version is a bit spicy just the way we like it but I would suggest scaling down on the cayenne to your liking. The jalapeño doesn’t really bring out too much heat when removing the seeds and ribs. It sounds like a lot of work but it’s really just a bit of chopping and tossing it all together in the crockpot, easy-peasy.
And the outcome, thick, comforting, warm, addicting spice, and healthy. This time around I served with some blue corn tortilla chips but give me a few weeks and Honey Jalapeño Corn Bread will be on this menu.
- 1 lb. Ground turkey
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes I 2 15 oz. cans
- Green chilies I 1 4 oz. can
- Sweet corn I 1 8 oz. can, drained and rinsed
- 1- 8 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1- 8 oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion, chopped (reserve some for topping)
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Chicken broth I 1 cup
- Water I 1/4 cup
- Masa or Flour I 2 tbps.
- Toppings: cheese, red onions, tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream
- Heat the garlic and olive oil of medium heat in your crock pot
- Saute the red onions, red peppers and jalapeno to slightly soften and brown; about 5 minutes stirring frequently
- Add the ground turkey and slightly brown
- Once browned, add all the spices and stir to incorporate flavor
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes and green chilies then mix
- Bring to a boil then add the black beans, red beans and corn
- Adjust the heat to low and simmer for about 35-45 minutes
- To thicken, mix well the corn masa or flour with 1/4 cup water; add to the pot and stir
- Let simmer for another 5 minutes
- Add your favorite toppings; cheese, sour cream, red onions, scallions
- Tip: Adjust the cayenne pepper to your liking; this version is a bit spicy
Did you try this recipe? Let me know and comment below! Tell me about what you served your chili with!